Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Curry and "The Boz" in relative comany?

With the recent news of Aaron Curry's injury to his groin, many people are discussing weather or not he will be a bust. Not just a bust, but a colossal bust at that.

Brian Bosworth, a once highest paid rookie in NFL history was number 6 on ESPN's Biggest Flops of the last 25 years. The "Boz", as he came to be known as, was a standout player at the University of Oklahoma before he was drafted by the Seattle Seahawks in the 1987 NFL Supplemental. The Boz's 10 year $11 million dollar contract to play for the Hawks, at the time was the Hawks largest player contract in the history of the franchise. The Boz was supposed to be a power house Strong Side Linebacker, winning the coveted Butkus Award the first two times it was presented. Brian was named #30 on the College Football News "100 greatest college players of all time". How did all this translate to a terrible career in the NFL and ultimately a early retirement due to a chronic shoulder injury? Many say it was Seattle's decision to move him to weak side linebacker. Others might say it was his attitude and demeanor on the field. I really think it was the lack of film study by the Seahawks' scout system in the 80's. Either way, "The Boz" was a colossal bust.

So why is Aaron Curry's name being brought up in relative questioning to Brian Bosworth? Besides winning the coveted Butkus award Curry was the hype of all hype to be had surrounding college linebackers. While Bosworth was primarily a strong side linebacker in college, Curry played what is called a "SAM" linebacker. Basically, this meant Curry played the ball, wherever the ball went Curry went. Aaron's athleticism also allowed for him to play in space when zone coverages were needed and he often split out as a nickle back. This man was high on every NFL teams radar. Aaron Curry was considered by some to be the best player available in the entire 2009 NFL draft.

The "Boz" was a talented, hard hitting, smart linebacker, whereas, Curry is a talented, strong, coverage capable, pass rushing linebacker with great speed. The differences between these guys are just that different (skill sets anyway). The similarities are that of speculation, purely for the fact that Curry is now injured. We don't exactly know the extent of curry's injury as of now but that doesn't matter in relevance to this article. What is relevant is the nature of the contracts that were structured for these two linebackers. Curry now has the largest contract numbers in Seahawks history where "Boz" use to hold that record.

Yes this is all speculation at this point but what is so special about Curry to be guaranteed his career doesn't turn out like Bosworth's career? NOTHING that I can see. Curry may have been considered the BPA (best player available) in the 2009 NFL Draft but he did what many big time players do after being drafted; hold out for the big dollar contract. Now this doesn't necessarily mean a player is going to be a bust because he holds out, in fact, often times these players are worth every penny they hold out for. Aaron Curry, on the other hand, has already shown that his hold out was purely for money, not the normal "red tape" he and his agent had to go through to get the deal done. Aaron Curry sat on his rear end waiting for the big $. The nature of his injury (GROIN) is a tell tale sign that his conditioning took a back seat to his greed. If Curry was in fact, just wanting to play football, then he would have had the conditioning to handle the tempo of practices in the NFL without injuring his groin.

The speculation that Aaron Curry will be in familiar company with the "Boz" is all a little more apparent now that his injury has him sitting out another week of training camp; possibly longer.

This injury is most displeasing and has me on edge about our defense. Our secondary was suspect before the start of the season and now our top draft pick is suspect as well. Curry, your character is not what Tim Ruskell thought it was and now he might have to pay for it with a colossal bust!!!!!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post. As horrible as the Boz was, I think Curry would be an even bigger bust if he doesn't pan out just from a dollars stand point. He would cripple the team for years to come.

Jeremy Brown said...

Absolutely, nice observation by the way. I should have put that in the article. His price tag is the big factor if he doesn't perform.

Good on ya mate

BlueThru&Thru said...

Or you could just be a wanker making a mountain out of a mole hill. First off, it's a groin strain, not a full pull or tear. It's MORE THAN THE 10th one by a Seahawks player so far in training camp. Most players, including those who are very fit and have been in all of camp have complained of "dead legs" due to the intensity and pace of Mora's practices. It's pretty normal in two-a-days, especially under coaches who push the pace, to have dead legs that tighten up, even if you have done all the conditioning you can in the off season.

Have all the other Seahawks players who sat out 1 practice to 2 days because of "groin strains" also been out of shape or not training? Hardly. It's pretty normal for most athletes to pull something a little bit during training camp or any extreme sports.

I am a former college player at WWU, and also a long distance endurance cyclist and paddler, and I train like crazy, but that doesn't mean during intense efforts I don't get occasional minor pulls or strains.

He didn't even go in for treatment, just took off his pads and watched the rest of practice. The blog at seahawks.com indicate is was, in fact, a minor strain.

Sure, any high pick can end up a bust, and many often do (about 50%, in fact), but a minor strain has nothing to do with his conditioning, heart, or potential, but has a lot to do with bloggers being bored and trying to create drama and hits on their websites. ;-)

Jeremy Brown said...

Thank you for the insight oh mighty smart one. Go fuck yourself.

You went from playing football at WWU to long distance cycling?

What's the matter, you tiny balls had too much room in the cup you had to switch to spandex?

Good, analysis of my post. You DOUCH COCK...

BlueThru&Thru said...

If you couldn't handle my sarcasm (note the winkface at the bottom, and realize I was being tongue in cheek on a lot of that) then it's you who doesn't have a shred of humor, my friend!

As for the cycling crack, here's a big dose of reality for you...

I was a middle linebacker and Right Guard in high school, then a middle linebacker who was switched to left guard at WWU, as I got bigger and stronger. However, football and basketball took a toll on my body, and I ended up with two chronically dislocating shoulders, a glitchy right knee, and a snapped achilles tendon from football and basketball.

Cycling and paddling in endurance events has helped to rehabilitate my knees and legs while minimizing strain, and the paddling has helped strengthen and tighten back up my shoulders, while I lost weight to live out the rest of my life at a post football weight!

I run some of the top multi-sport teams for races around the northwest, and have top athletes from many disciplines on my teams. I respect what many sports bring to the table, and the endurance, strength, discipline, training, and pain thresholds necessary for each of them. I don't disparage the ones I am not into, I respect them, even though they aren't all "my thing".

As for the blog, it's you that wrote he was out a week or more, when nothing of the sort has been said, and in fact, as the Seahawks.com site, they mention it as a tweak, much like the many other ones that have been listed during training camp that have only kept guys out a couple of days, max, but kept many of them out. I make use of Seahawks Addicts, SeahawkBlue.com, Seahawks Insider, the Seattle Times blog (Danny O'neil), seahawks.com, and several other Seahawks sites and blogs, and read up on all the training camp happenings and events. It's no joke that there's been at least 10 guys so far listed with "groin strains" during training camp, and not one of them has missed more than 2 days. A few others have missed for "general soreness", "knee soreness", or "bruising". It's pretty much a normal part of training camp when the intensity is up.

Unless they come out and say it's a major tear, I don't think it's much to worry about. So far there's no indication it is. He didn't even head in for treatment, just got wrapped a bit on the sideline, and squatted and watched the rest of practice.

No need for the hyberbole, dude.

Jeremy Brown said...

wow. I never had someone respond to a comment with such conviction.

Hell I like you, you can come over to my house and fuck my sister.

I think your full of shit. Yeah you do so much with so many athletes then why do you spend your days scouring the internet for Seahawks news. Sounds to me like your a has been that never was and you wish you could get it all back.

Have fun with all of your athletes.

Damn you sound like Michael Jackson commenting on the subject of children...

Bottom line is this article was about one man's speculation not a definitive article saying he is a bust. Analyze and Interpret my friend.....learn it before you comment.

davies said...

wow jeremy you make an artice based on nothing but pure speculation and you bash a true fan for stating his point of view. You not only tried to bash his opinion but him personally, so what if bluethru never made it in the NFL? He still played college ball and that is more than you or I will ever do in the world of sports.

You may be one of the most unprofessional bloggers i've seen. How insecure are you too get all worked up and offended by an opposing point of view?

Jeremy Brown said...

Davies,

More than you will ever do. I played ball for a community college. I now play semi-pro ball. I am not insecure at all. I disprove of his comments and have no respect for him calling my article crap so go fuck your self.

No-body said blogging was a profession. I mean come on, just because some asshole made up a word about an online journal doesn't make it a profession.

The only thing that makes blogging a profession is so the media groups don't have to pay people like Mike Sando a columnist salary.

thanks for the insight though.

davies said...

I would still say Bluethru playing for a real college team is more than semi pro ball. People at least watch NCAA football...

Jeremy Brown said...

I would too, but I still play...well.

BlueThru&Thru said...

Dude, if you want to see, check out Boss Construction for Western Football teams 1 and 2 from this year's Ski to Sea results. Check out the savewwufootball website for news on our teams for Ski to Sea or for Mountains to Sound, where we are the champs. Check out the photos for the race, where we are all decked out in savewwufootball gear. Note that I'm the biggest guy on the teams, by far.

Note the guys on my teams, former Olympians, top Western and now post western runners and cyclists, top XC skiers who compete worldwide in races and coach national caliber guys. Our surfski kayakers have been "Top Guns" at ski to sea the last 2 years, our XC skier, top 4, or paddlers, top 4, and one of them an Ausable marathon champ.

It's fine to disagree on the issue. My point was you were reacting to speculation, and speculation that isn't founded on the reality of what has been going on in camp.

Just because I'm an avid fan who is on the blogs a lot, doesn't also mean I'm not out daily kayaking, canoeing, or paddling for hours as well.

My day job happens to put me on a computer, and as a fan I take the opportunity at breaks and at lunch to read up on what's going on.

I've noted via the various blogs, guys being held out for groin strains quite often, along with "general soreness", and "knee soreness". It seems those are the 3 main reasons guys have been held out.

As for the bit about playing things up to get your blog read... well, I was kidding about that, as I indicated (winkface), since the whole point of blogging your thoughts is so people can read them, and attracting more folks to dialogue is a GOOD THING. Being controversial isn't bad, just expect strong opinions in response! Hey, if it draws folks to your blog, that's not a bad thing!

Jeremy Brown said...

Thanks man that is what this site is all about. Sorry I had to perform this on a fellow seahawk fan BUT it needed to be done.

I am starting this site back up again as a trash talking site with fans from other teams.

This was fun. Now you can go back and have fun over at Addicts. Thanks again for participating. You are definitely passionate too. Do you maybe wanna be a guest writer?

Jeremy Brown said...

Davis helped.

I would like everyone to know that this was to get the name out and to show how good of a trash talk site this could be.

Marketing, with a twist, we'll call it.

Thanks to all. Hey Keep em comin....

BlueThru&Thru said...

No worries, we all get hot as passionate fans now and again. I probably came on a bit strong, and it wasn't all about what you wrote. I happened to visit several Seahawks blogs this morning and saw a bunch of posts about Curry as a bust or seriously injured, when nothing more has been written than he "tweaked his groin" and sat out the rest of practice.

I just thought we have to give the guy a chance. I agree, he could be a bust, it's just that a tweaked groin doesn't necessarily mean he was out of shape or is going to be a bust. It's not the same as Boz's (already injured) shoulders he had and serious 'roid use that damaged his joints.

As you can see, I'm a big football fan, both college and pro, and one of the main supporters of the savewwufootball group. I'm way past my prime for football (same age as Favre (foreafter will be mentioned as "he shall not be named"). So if I was a QB, maybe I could still play, but it wouldn't be pretty rolling my now 39 year old ass out there on any other football field!

I'm old school Western ball, 1988-1992, and not even all of that, as the injuries kicked in nicely (shoulders/right knee by end of Junior year) so I was pretty much a mascot senior year! Such is life.

Would be happy to write for the blog anytime. We have SeahawkBlue.com and SeahawkAddicts.com for truly civil fandom, and then Seahawks Insider, Field Gulls, the Seattle Times Blog, and several others to get the flame wars going. This one can be shaped however you want.

Let's have good substance in the discussions, no matter if they are passionately flaming or calmly reasoned!

BlueThru&Thru said...

Bad news about Walt and Trufant, but not much different from what I expected. Walt's on his last legs, as I think many of us thought, while Trufant being on the PUP this training camp was a clear sign he wasn't healthy and it would take time. We'll see if he's ready for the regular season, but right now Mora says they are planning on not having Walt or Trufant for game 1.

(Check out Seahawks Insider or Danny O'niel's blog on the surgery for Walt and Trufant's back problem details).

As for Curry, GOOD NEWS:

"Mora said linebacker Aaron Curry suffered a slight groin pull during Tuesday night’s practice and should be ready to play on Saturday. Curry did not practice Wednesday afternoon."

This from Mora's interview session after practice, and from Eric at the Seahawks Insider blog.

Jeremy Brown said...

Great substance. When the regular season comes around I totally alienate my family for this stuff. Sounds bad, I know, it's not neglect just alienation.

Check my profile and e-mail me.