Saturday, August 22, 2009

Things to look for in tonights game....part 1

I for one am just excited as all hell to watch the game.  Football at home, theres nothing like it.


I have been watching film from the past game all day. I have also been looking for any film I could find covering training camp to help better identify the players. Lots of new names out there for the hawks. New Schemes on both offense and defense, and a bevy of new coaches. Everything I have been watching leading up to know has reasured me the Seahawks will have a winning season.

OFFENSIVE LINE:
The offensive line seems to be gelling well, even with the absence of Walter Jones. The new zone blocking scheme appears to be more than apearant in the brains of our offense, at least the O-line. The thing I noticed from the film is the RB's making their cuts. I noticed on a couple of plays against the Chargers, notably on 2nd and long, where JJ cut too late and missed an opportunity to blow by the linebackers in to the secondary. I am curious as too how they are going to handle transitioning to a new system. The more experienced players seem to be catching on quickly, and in turn, are passing on that knowledge and tidbits to help the younger guys improve their abilities.  Max Unger continues to impress coaches and beat writers alike, along with the improved line play of Locklear and Sims as well. I like to see the more fluid style of running plays put into action. The stretch, the sweep, and the HB pitch have all been a thing the Hawks struggled with in the past. In Holmgrens system, at least late in his tenure, this group of run plays took a back seat to the ever so apearant draw. This is not the Offensive line of 2005 when Shaun Alexander garnered the rushing title and set the record for most touchdowns in a season with 29. This should have been obvious to Holmgren as soon as we lost Hutch. It wasn't and our run game suffered. So now we implement a zone blocking scheme, under new offensive coordinator Greg Knapp, to utilize the athleticism of the offensive linemen we do have. Watch closely, because I think this offensive line is going to be the offensive line that starts out our season for us. I hope we don't have anymore injurys. In fact, I pray we don't.

No comments: