Saturday, August 16, 2008

Little Blurb about today...

I am not going to post much other than the following. Charlie Frye is going to be starting! I would look to see a whole bunch of Julius Jones and Justin Forsett. I think Forsett's performance in the last game and at the scrimmage and practices has impressed the coaches over the course of the preseason. In fact, I am going out on a limb here and saying that I think the Seahawks end up cutting T.J. Duckett in favor of Justin Forsett. At this point the hawks need someone fast, who can take a hit, return punts. Now that Burleson is the NO1 Receiver, someone has to take over the return job. The team just can't risk injury to their only starting returning WR. Frankly they would be foolish not to protect him. The main question here is, what ramifications in terms of salary cap will Duckett's release cause? According Clare Farnsworth on his blog. Duckett is set to make around $2 million this year, $2 million next year and $1 million the following year with about $1.4 million incentives. I do beleive he has a salary cap penalty for being cut from the roster that would affect the cap in 2008 as well. Only $3 million dollars, This wouldn't HURT as much as it would help the Seahawks. I am all for having some great short yardage backs but that is what Weaver and Shmitt are for. Lets free up some roster room to better this offense and special teams. Lord knows we need it. hell, Duckett's release may open up the opportunity for another free agent signing. You never know....

Obviously the Wide Receiver show is going to be fun to watch as well. There is a lot of competition out there. Here are a few of the front runners in my eyes as of now. Jordan Kent with his size, strength and route running ability, has a real shot at being a Seahawk. Michael Bumpus impressed last week but I think he will have to step up a little more in tonight's game to make a real impression on the coaches. If he can get 40-50 yards and a touchdown tonight and doesn't drop anything I think he has a chance. I have yet to see much from Courtney Taylor other than in practice and scrimmage so I am on the fence with this guy, even though he is all the hype with the fans. Joel Filani might end up on the practice squad because we are thin at WR; don't expect much else. Other than that I am going to be enjoying the game from the comfort of my seat screaming my head off. If you are going to the game have fun and pay attention because the excitement is just getting underway....END....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of eating 3 mill hurts less than keeping Duckett on the roster. Here's to hoping TR can swallow his pride and admit it was a mistake.

No way Filani makes the practice squad. If any of the receivers do, it will probably be Michael Bumpus. I dont see Bumpus beating anyone out in front of him to make the 53 man roster.

FancyPants

Jeremy Brown said...

Filani will only have a shot at the practice squad. He might not get there if he doesn't show that he can play. Same goes for Kent, Taylor, and Bumpus. These guys all have to step up. Otherwise our season is screwed offensively.